Nové Hrady and surroundings
Discover a variety of attractions throughout Nové Hradý. Many historical sites in and around Nové Hrady.
Castle / Hrad
The Gothic castle of Nové hrady was built in the mid 13th century as a guard-post near a trade route. It stands on a 50 meter high rocky outcrop, surrounded by a powerful 14-meter-deep ditch. From its very beginning, the Landstein branch of the Witigones, the important Bohemian dynasty of Rosenberg, owned the castle. The fortress was damaged several times in the 15th and 16th century by military combat and natural disasters. It was owned by the Schwanberger for a short time before in the 17th century castle and dominion ultimately fell to the Buquoys. The new owners ceased to use the castle as a residence, and instead, used it as a residential building for administrative staff such as the forest administration, and as a family archive of the Buquoy dynasty. At the end of the 20th century the castle was thoroughly reconstructed and opened to the public.
Historical forge / Kovárna
The smithy was first mentioned in 1719 when owned by the blacksmith Ferdinand Grössinger. Presumably it was also built not much earlier. For almost two hundred years here a blacksmith produced all kinds of goods from iron, until the building was transfomend into a residence. In 2000, the former smithy was bought the city and reconstructed on the basis of traditional records. Now you can see here a fully functioning historic forge, a collection of traditional forging tools and forged products. Right next to the dwelling and workshop, a stable and a barn can be found. Currently, the non-profit organization Rožmberk has rented the smithy, which is now open for the public during the summer months and on certain occasions (during Christmas or Easter holidays and at various events).
Residence / Rezidence
Originally, the place of residence at the town square was taken by several detached mansions which were built by the Rosenbergs. In the years 1634-35 these houses were united under the authority of Countess Maria Magdalena of Buquoy to become transformed into a city palace. For nearly two hundred years, members of the Buquoy family lived here, here until in the beginning of the 19th century they moved out into a newly built castle. After the owners had moved out, the residence hosted the Buquoy’s economic and construction offices and served as a residential building for staff. After 1945, the residence was used by the State-owned forest enterprise. At present, the completely renovated building complex serves as a wellness hotel and restaurant.
Monastery / Klášter
When count Ferdinand de Buquoy was seriously injured during a warfare against the Turks in 1664, he took the oath to have a monastery in honor of Virgin Mary built in the event of his recovery. The foundation stone of the former Servite Monastery was laid in the year 1678, and until 1945 the monastery remained in function. After the Second World War, the monks were expelled and the building served as barracks for the border guard. The reconstruction of the monastery in the 1990s is strongly associated with the name of Father Bonfilius. His energy and his tireless optimism led to the renewal of the monastery complex and the return of spiritual values which it represented. When he died in 2005, this was the death of the last Servite in the Czech Republic. The tradition of the Servite monastery is now kept alive by the clerical Community Family of Mary.
Church, St. Peter and Paul '/ Kostel
The St. Peter and Paul’s parish church right next to the monastery was first mentioned in 1284. The original early Gothic building was destroyed along with the city in the 15th century. In 1590 the new building was completed. In this period, the Swabian net vault of the presbytery was built; it can still be seen. It is considered the most perfect reticulated vault in Southern Bohemia. In 1726, the Renaissance roof of the tower was replaced by a Baroque onion dome with an octagonal lantern. The older parts of the interior date from the Baroque period, they were created in the second half of the 17th century. On the main altar there is an image of the Virgin Mary saving Karl Bonaventura of Buquoy in 1619 during the Battle of Sablat/Záblatí from a burning house. In the middle of the chancel there is a red marble slab that covers the grave of several members of the Buquoy family. In the nave of the church there is also a crypt, in which from the year 1748 on the friars of the Servite order found their last rest.
Baroque pharmacy / Barokní lékárna
The pharmacy’s local tradition goes back to the the mid-17th century. At that time, Franz Leopold von Buquoy had a court phaermacy established in a part of the residence erected at the town square. It was replete with remedies, technical devices and vessels. Later it was further operated in the monastery of the Servites. In 1775, a new pharmacy was opened at the town square, which was in operation until the end of World War II. After its closing in the 1960s, the inventory was stored in the castle. In the 1990s it was decided to set up the baroque pharmacy in the immediate vicinity of the town square again. Today, visitors can buy fragrant herbs and teas here or enjoy the beauty of the historic inventory.
Castle / Zámek
Since its construction in 1806 until the year 1945, this castle was the family residence of the Count of Buquoy. It was built in Empire style and comprises a two-storied main building with three wings and single-story extensions to the side wings. The most meaningful of the representative rooms on the 1st floor is the so-called Blue Salon. The two stories high room quotes the colors and proportions of a camp tent used in the time of the war between the Emperor and the Turks. To create this impression, it is equipped with white and blue striped linen. Also the auditorium with 120 seats is remarkable. It is one of the last three still existing Empire-style theaters in the country. The castle was confiscated after 1945 and during the civil war in Greece 1948-1955 it was used as a haven for Greek children. Today, the object serves as an academic and university center. For the public, the halls are accessible in the context of concerts and exhibitions.
Buquoy Mausoleum / Hrobka
Built between 1902 and 1904 in pseudo-Gothic style, the family tomb of the Buquoys is located at the Eastern end of the town’s cemetery. It consists of two parts, the crypt in the ground floor and an upstairs room. There is a gilded mosaic of the Virgin Mary above the entrance. In the tympanum of the portal on the ground floor a stone relief with the coat of arms Buquoys is attached, supported by two griffins and provided with the motto of the noble family: “Dieu et mon roi” (For God and my king). In the resting placebuilt by Count Karl Bonaventura Buquoy there are eight coffins with mortal remains of members of the Buquoy family. The tomb is accessible as part of guided city tours. Other members of the noble family have found their final resting place in the original family grave in the church of the city.
Nature Park Therese Valley / Terčino údolí
The Therese Valley located in the Údolí suburb at the outskirts of Nové Hrady covers an area of approximately 140 ha. Already in 1949 it became a state nature reserve and it was designated a natural monument in 1992. In the 18th century, this landscape park was created for Countess Therese of Buquoy in the romantic valley, through which the Strobnitz creek makes its way. This so-called Beautiful Valley was reshaped over time by numerous interventions into landscape and elements of architecture such as the Blue House, Wenzel Spa, a Swiss house and an artificial waterfall. Later on Georg of Buquoy named the park after his niece Countess Therese. This natural monument is an exceptional example of early landscape architecture and is one of the most important historic parks in the Czech Republic. At the end of the valley is one of the best-preserved Bohemian fortresses, the country estate of Cuknštejn.
Former tannery / Koželužna
After extensive renovation, the former tannery has become a seminar center and culture workshop. The historic building is located near the central city square next to Komenského Street. It is somewhat obscured by the surrounding houses. Two flower beds lead the way to that place where throughout the entire year cultural and social events are held. In creativity workshops for all ages participants for instance learn how to carve, create visual art and dance. One can attend lectures, authors’ readings and many other club events. The secluded little courtyard is a fine place to take a rest. You are welcome!
Museum of Nové Hrady / Muzeum Novohradský
The Museum of Nové Hrady is located in the center for culture and social life in Česká street. Visitors are given an overview on major events and personalities of the region. A relief of the local countryside offers a unique view of the Nové Hrady uplands. On a scale of 1:12.500 an area of over 500 km² is shown. 90 LEDs highlight the most famous mountains, towns, water bodies and natural features.
Open-Air Museum / skanzen
The exhibition at the border crossing of Nové Hrady - Pyhrabruck deals with the protection of the state border from its beginnings to the access of the Czech Republic to the Schengen Area in 2007. The majority of the exhibition is dedicated to the protection of the border in the time of the so-called Cold War. In this time, the world was split up in two politically, economically and militarily competing, irreconcilable blocks.
Wooden sculptures / Dřevěné skulptury
Since 2006, Nové Hrady is decorated with ten wooden sculptures. Within a two weeks’ stay, artists from all across Europe have created them and left them behind as a permanently visible open-air gallery. The statues reflect on life, love, nature, religion and science. They are spread all across the city and offer visitors a nice walk. They can view contemporary sculpture and at the same time get familiar with Nové Hrady and its architecture.
City Hall / Radnice
The Renaissance town hall is located at the Northwest corner of the town square. It was first mentioned in 1593 as a community center. The cross-comb vault on the ground floor is a reference to the Renaissance style in which the house was originally built, before it got its Baroque appearance in the reconstruction of 1749 Almost one hundred years later, the wooden ceiling and the bell-tower with a clock were added. The front facade is decorated with the coat of arms of both the city and the Buquoys. The rear part of the building was formerly connected to the municipal brewery. After a fire at the beginning of the 20th century, this part was initially transformed into a restaurant and later was converted to a cheese factory. Today, a restaurant and the Cultural and Information Centre (KIC) are located in the building.